Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thing #18: Online Productivity Tools

Um, I think I missed something. I'm not sure why one would use Open Office instead of MS Office. Maybe it's because I'm so comfortable and familiar with MS Office, but it seems way easier and more flexible to use that Open Office. Maybe I just need more time with Open Office and I'm judging it too quickly, but I don't anticipate using it in place of MS Office.

I did like Google Docs however. I like having a secure place to store my docs so easily, and I really liked the templates - much more convenient and easier to find than MS templates. Most of all I like the flexibility of accessing my docs from any computer. No more emailing docs to myself! This is another great tool for students to use when collaborating on group projects - if all of them have access to computers away from school.

2 comments:

  1. Computers cost a lot less w/out Bill Gates's software on them. I think the point of Open Office, since it's free, is to ultimately provide more computer access to people around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at one point there was brief discussion of buying new school computers with out MS products and going to the open source items such as Open Office...it didn't happen...yet!
    Sometimes kids can't collaborate becasue they don't have same softwre...these might be options...my weapon of choice in that case would be google docs, but open office is prefered by some.

    ReplyDelete