Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tool #6: Using Web Tools to Promote Discussion in and out of the Classroom

I am familiar with several of the web tools listed.  Here's my take on a few of them:

My kids have been using Skype for awhile to stay in touch with some of their international friends, so this one isn't very new to me. My favorite ideas for application in the classroom are: guest lecturers, visits with museum curators, and sharing class productions. There are of course many more applications depending on the subject taught.

I have a Twitter account, and I am unimpressed with it, especially as a tool to use with students.  I think a securely protected Face Book page would be much more effective for teacher/student and student/student interaction.  Probably even more effective than Face Book, would be Blogger.  Teachers and students could have a secure and fee discussion exchange with a teacher directed blog - IF all students have access to the technology.

Finally, there is Google Docs.  I've mentioned my dislike for Google Docs before, but it the interest of completing this assignment, I decided to use it.  Now I can confidently say, "I HATE Google Docs!"  The re-formatting drove me crazy, and Google Images has such poor clip art, that my document is left dull and and unimaginative.  The document below is designed to be used in my Group Communication unit.  After several days of studying and experiencing group dynamics, the class breaks into four or five groups, and each group is assigned a school issue to become experts on and to present in a panel discussion format. The group plans a persuasive speech and selects one person in the group to make the presentation.  The entire group works together to coach the selected speaker. After each presentation, the discussion is open to the entire class for questions to the "experts."  By using the document below, students within each group could work collaboratively from home to complete the best speech plan possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment