Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #12: Creating Community Through Commenting

This Thing was very worthwhile and answered quite of few questions I had about commenting on blogs. Several points made in the readings caught my attention:

Making thoughtful comments - So many of the comments I read on some of the political blogs I'm following are meaningless (like "Go Sarah!"). It seems that contributing to the conversation and inviting further comments with meaningful ideas is a more satisfying way to participate.

Inviting comments on your own blog - Again this can lead to more interaction. By asking questions, leaving posts open-ended, and even asking for comments, a blogger can create a meaningful conversation.

Interacting with comments left - I actually had questions about the appropriate way to do this. I love reading comments on my posts, and I often want to respond, at least to say thanks for kind words. Responding to comments also can encourage more comments, so again, a fun conversation results. I'm so glad to discover the ability to track comments by email.

Since reading about comments, I've gone through all my posts and responded to comments left. I've also started commenting frequently on the L2P blogs I'm following - yes I commented on five different blogs.

I am following several political blogs (which I keep track of on Google Reader!), but I haven't yet felt compelled to comment on them. I think it's a comfort-level thing: it's a little intimidating to comment on a nationally read blog. I'll keep following these blogs and continue looking for opportunities to comment. I'll update this post as soon a I take the leap.

July 22 - Well I have now successfully commented on a couple of nationally read blogs. I took a deep breath and a leap of faith that my comments would be appropriate and meaningful. Now, am I a full-fledged blogger?

2 comments:

  1. You've gotten further along than I have so I'll post a question with you. What if someone comments and they don't have an email listed? I just hate not to reply to someone to say thanks for noticing...commenting.. or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I can tell, anyone can comment regardless of whether or not they have an email address. The advantage of the button "subscribe by email" is that you'll be notified by email when there are further posts after your comment. With no email address, you'll have to keep checking the post you commented on to see if there were any further comments. Hope this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete