Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

I have to admit, I've not given libraries and their functions much thought before doing this Thing. In fact I haven't been in a library in years - except to use the photo-copier and to attend meetings. After watching the thought-provoking video, reading the first two articles, and scanning a couple more, I realize what a monumental challenge librarians, especially school librarians, have. Not only do school librarians need to equip students with the necessary tools to effectively utilize Web 2.0 in a learning environment, but they also need to convince many reluctant teachers to accept Library 2.0 so that the librarian and the teacher can work together in the best interests of the students. At the same time, the school librarian must constantly strive to stay current in Library 2.0 developments so that they can incorporate changes into their library systems. Whew!

After completing this Thing, I'm more tickled than ever that I'm participating in L2P. Already I feel more competent using Web 2.0 tools, and together with my school librarian, I will be able to help my students increase their technological knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. And the librarians can use the help of you teachers who "see the light" in convincing hesitant colleagues that it is worth broadening their horizons and experiences...for the ultimate benefit to the kids!

    If you think you are excited now, you have something really exciting coming your way ...when the library gets all the new tools coming this fall! I know you will find lots of reasons to be in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds intriguing! I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete