Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #16: Wikis

I added a comment to the sandbox. How easy was that? I'd like to start using wikis in the classroom to encourage collaboration among students on projects. For example they could keep track of brainstorming sessions from home so they don't spin their wheels back in class. Of course that would assume all the kids have access to computers at home. A big hole in my idea....

BTW, I was actually discouraged from encouraging students to use Wikipedia and Google by a school librarian I worked with about three years ago. She said Wikipedia information was too undependable, and she preferred her district's approved search sites to Google. I can't imagine not using either now! Another indication of how slow some are to accept new technology tools.

1 comment:

  1. There was a time when Wikipedia was not considered to be a scholarly source of information, but now it RULES!

    I have the same concern about home computer access at my school - it sure slows the learning process in the digital world for these kids.

    ReplyDelete