Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tool #4: Moving Up to the Clouds

I've tried using Google Docs before,  I just played with it some more, and I've got to say, I'm not a fan.  I don't like the formatting; I don't like the way documents are re-formatted (or un-formatted as the case may be) when I try pasting an original document into Google Docs, and I don't like that clip art and pictures do not copy to Google Docs.  How can I make my documents cute with out clip art? All in all, I'd say Google Docs isn't worth the time unless a whole group of people is working on the document to be created. In addition, as a one-person department, I didn't find the form creator in Google Docs particularly useful.  I prefer personal emails to parents when it's necessary to discuss students' progress, or lack there of.

I do like the calendar app. in Google Docs.  If I didn't already have a teacher web page with a calendar to keep up with, I might use the Google calendar to help students keep up with projects and due dates, etc.

Finally, I'm not particularly excited about using Google Apps with my students, mainly because not all of my students have access to the technology necessary to utilize Google Docs, etc. outside of school. In a perfect world where all students have personal laptops and iPads, students could collaborate on documents via Google Docs, and could use teacher-made templates to work on assignments at home.  Until we achieve that utopia, however, implementing technology via Google Docs, will be spotty at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment