Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tool #9: Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices as Tools for Learning


The first two questions in this tool seem rather obvious to me; they drew from me a kind of "duh" response. Don't all good teachers plan lessons according to objectives? Shouldn't all good teachers hold students accountable for their assignments? Of course the technology used in a lesson should be tied to the lesson's objective(s) so that the class period isn't just play time. In fact technology shouldn't be used just because it's technology, but because it benefits the lesson's objective(s). In the same vein, absolutely students should be held accountable for the assignments using technology. Otherwise, at least in middle school, the lessons won't be taken seriously.

I visited several of the links offered in this tool, and sadly discovered that very few of the sites were applicable to my courses. After extensive searching, I finally found an interactive "game" on Thinkfinity called "Fractured Fairy Tales" that lends itself well to a unit I often use in my Theatre classes. In the past, we have read fractured fairy tales, and even watched a few on DVD from the old animated television show, before creating our own fractured fairy tale scripts to be played out in short scenes. Using Thinkfinity's interactive "Fractured Fairy Tales" would offer students a useful guide for writing their scripts.


Also in the SBISD Interactive Database, I found "Animation Creator Lite" which creates comics. Communication Applications students would have fun using this to create graphics to enhance their presentations. As I mentioned before, Animoto would also be useful in student presentations.


Finally, I found in the SBISD Interactive Database some fun apps. for iPod Touches and iPads that apply to my courses . Sometimes in Theatre I teach a unit using "Mad Libs." Using the "Mad Libs" app. would really streamline this unit. In addition, the "Idea Sketch" app., could be a useful tool for students in Comm. Apps. when planning speeches. We finally could begin moving away from paper outlines and plans.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm very excited about getting these new devices. I've always wanted to create a unit in which students create a "soundtrack" for an original skit or movie. Perhaps when I get the iPod Touch and iPad, I will load suitable music on them using iTunes and allow students to use this music for their soundtracks. I'm sure once I have the devices to play with, I'll think of countless uses applicable to my courses.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you have found stuff you can use! I like your fractured fairy tales idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found some apps! Hopefully we will be in the VPP and able to use school funds to purchase apps. I think your students would enjoy the GarageBand app for soundtrack creation!

    ReplyDelete